cat_relocationRelocating pets is a technical process that involves strong feelings. That’s why choosing a relocation service for your pet is not only a matter of terms and prices, it’s about confidence and trust.

Most pets, including dogs, cats, birds etc., can be brought if an original signed and stamped veterinary health certificate is presented, stating that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies not more than 1 year before arrival. Pets have to go through medical check-up with local veterinary authorities.

The Veterinary-medical permission for import is issued by the Director General of the Bulgarian National Veterinary Service (NVS). A representative of the company must fill and submit the relevant application form for importation/exportation in the NVS headquarters in Sofia.

  • Before moving your pet, schedule an examination by a veterinarian, who may suggest a tranquilizer or some other measure to make your pet more comfortable during the trip. Obtain copies of your pet’s health and rabies vaccination records, and update identification tags.
  • When shipping a pet by air, contact the airline well in advance to check regulations and services, and to make reservations. If possible, book a week-day flight during slack periods when there’s more room in the plane’s cargo compartment. Also, try to book a direct flight to reduce the amount of time your pet will be confined.
  • Select a portable air-transport kennel that’s large enough for your pet to stand and move around. Let your pet get accustomed to it well in advance of the trip. Mark the container “Live Animal,” and affix a label that includes your pet’s name, new address and phone number, and special handling instructions.

Bulgaria import rules and requirements

Before beginning the import procedures, make sure that your vet is approved by the Government Veterinarian Authority in the country of origin. For example, if an animal is departing the United States, the vet will need to be USDA Accredited.

Requirements in Summary

1) Microchip:

Each Pet shall be identified by means of a microchip. No other form of identification is acceptable. The microchip used should comply with ISO Standard 11784 or Annex A to ISO standard 11785- otherwise the pet will need to be sent with it’s own scanner attached to the top of the crate.

2) All animals need to have Full Vaccinations:

Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, Leptospirosis, (DHLPP) and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, Panleukopenia (FVRCP), and Rabies within the last 12 months or a minimum of 4 weeks before arrival.

3) EU Vet Health Certificate (Form EC#: 998) – (Form provided to you by – This is the standard Health Certificate to be filled out by your accredited Veterinarian. This certificate is valid for 4 months prior to departure date so do not get this issued too early.

4) USDA Endorsement: The below referenced forms:

  • Microchip Implantation Record
  • Rabies Certificate
  • Vet Letter
  • EU Vet Health Certificate

Must be sent to your local USDA for their stamp of approval. Please contact your representative on the best way of handling this.

4. International Health Certificate: Your vet should have these in stock. It’s a good idea to call ahead and ask. This is an international health certificate that needs to be completed by your vet within 10 days of departure. Depending on the logistics of your particular pet relocation and the specific health certificate being used (APHIS Form 7001) an additional USDA Endorsement maybe required on this health certificate. Speak to your specialist regarding the USDA portion of this process.

5. All original documentation listed above must travel with the pets.

6. In order for us to successfully clear customs we will need the following documents supplied prior to the animal’s arrival:

  • Copy of Pet Owner’s Passport
  • Note from Pet Owner’s Employer for the Relocation


For animals originating in an EU Member State, the “pet passport”, can be used and comes in a booklet form, blue in color with the EU emblem of yellow stars. This passport is a document standardized throughout the EU.

In the case of animals originating in a qualifying country other than an EU Member State the “passport” is in the form of a “Veterinary Certificate”, must consist of a single sheet, be printed in the language of Member State of entry and in English and be completed in the language of the Member State of entry or English.

North American vets write dates confusingly, sometimes in two different formats on the same document. The correct layout requested, and the ISO Standard, is dd/mm/yyyy.

Microchip Numbers must be read from the chip in the animal – and not from other paperwork. You must double check to make sure the chip can be scanned and that ALL NUMBERS of the microchip are recorded correctly.