You cross a number of countries. Up to Vienna there are no customs and visa formalities. It is more different crossing the countries of former Yugoslavia. It is recommended to use the route Vienna-Budapest-Belgrade-Sofia. The roads are first class, most of them highways. The distance from Vienna to Sofia is about 1,500 km. EU drivers’ licenses are valid in Bulgaria. Insurance has to be made in advance or paid at the border. Cars (self-drive and chauffeur driven) may be rented at the border checkpoints and in all tourist offices throughout the country. Speed limit:
- 50 km/h in populated areas
- 90 km/h outside populated areas
- 120 km/h on highways.
Both foreign, as well as several Bulgarian state-owned and private airline companies link the country with the five continents. Domestic services operate and charter flights are organized to resorts in summer and winter. Most important world air distances from:
- London: 3 hours
- Moscow: 2 hours
- New York: 14 hours
- Paris: 3 hours
- Rome: 2 hours
- Tokyo: 23 hours
- Zurich: 2 hours
Bulgarian International Airports:
- Sofia Airport ‘Vrajdebna’ – tel.: +359 2/937 22 12; Call Center email: callFB@air.bg; www.sofia-airport.bg
- Varna Airport - tel.: +359/52/573 323; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.varna-airport.com
- Plovdiv Airport - tel.: +3593/32/601 127; email: email@example.com; www.plovdivairport.com
- Bourgas Airport - tel.:+359/56/870248; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; www.bourgas-airport.com
The main trans-European and trans-continental trains run through Bulgaria. The capital Sofia is directly connected with Paris, Vienna, Munich, Berlin.
International tickets are available at special booking offices and agencies. The holders of international cards for student and youth travel are granted with reduced tariffs.
There are sea and river connections via the Black sea and Danube. The majority are tourist cruises rather than regular boat links. Black Sea ports Bourgas and Varna offer an extremely good access to Ukraine, Russia and the countries of the Mediterranean basin.